Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Twenty minutes equals 14 fabrics equals 7 potential blocks...

I went upstairs at 9 p.m. to pick out a few fabrics for the 36 patch blocks.  I immediately gravitated to my purple fabrics (imagine that, since purple is one of my favorite colors...).  I picked out 14 fabrics, 7 pairs that will contrast nicely.  I went back to cmq's website and re-read what I would be needing for a king size quilt.  Oh boy.  The king size quilt must be 8 blocks across by 9 blocks down as she has it listed as having 72 blocks and measuring 108" x 96".  If there were no repeated fabrics that would mean 144 fabrics would be needed.  Now, I'm not saying I don't have 144 different fabrics because we all know I do, it's just a question of if I can put together enough contrasting combinations to come up with a nice selection.  I think there will have to be some repeat fabrics, but not necessarily any repeat blocks.  And just because I started pulling from the purple bin doesn't mean it's just going to be a purple quilt!  I just started with my favorites, that's all!

I wish I could have stayed upstairs longer, but it was just too hot.  I had the a/c and the fan on, but it had been hot up there all day and that little a/c unit couldn't have cooled it off for the short amount of time I was going to be up there without having been on for hours.  Tomorrow I think I'll bring some of the fabrics downstairs and cut chunks of what I need and press them, then cut some strips.  I'm just going to make this a fun project and do a few squares at a time.

Talked to my uncle tonight and we are planning to go to dinner tomorrow right after I get off work.  Haven't been out to dinner with him in a while, not since I got sick a few weeks ago.  We are going to the local diner that has pork chops on special on Thursdays.  I know he will like that!

Had a nice visit with Nick tonight.  I think he really enjoys coming over and going swimming.  I'm glad.  It's nice for me to have someone to swim with, too.  The pool is really getting a lot of use this year.  Tonight the water was the warmest it has ever been that I can remember.  It was 92 degrees!  Wow.

No comments: