Friday, July 24, 2015

Thrift Store Non-Finds

I say "non-finds" because even though I found them, I also left them.  The first one was tempting.  It was a Singer 327k in a cabinet that looked in fair to good condition.  It's a drop in bobbin, though, and they are just not my favorites.  Also, after doing a little research, I discovered that this machine is belt driven and right now I'm on the hunt for gear driven.  She was a cutie, though, in that aqua color.

The other "non-find" was probably beyond hope, except as living life as a boat anchor, and I truly hate to to think that would really happen, just because of my love for old machines.  What caught my eye was the base shape and the odd little part on the front.



Maybe this is an old treadle machine head?

No sewing machines came home with me from the thrift shop today.  But it was fun to look!

2 comments:

Kimberly Smith said...

The black machine has what is commonly called a "fiddle base." More collectible usually, but that one looks in pretty sad shape. I could not have left the aqua machine there though, just on color alone! Best wishes.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Pre-1900 fiddle base, so yes it was treadled. The other picture shows where the bobbins that go inside the shuttle were wound.
I've been told a 327K is such a good machine that a lot of people believe they are industrial machines (they are not).
Keep looking; you'll find the right one.