Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Day

Yesterday was Veteran's Day. I had the day off work, so I began machine quilting on darling daughter's graduation quilt. I have always been apprehensive about starting a project on the industrial Singer machine. There have been times I have started machine quilting on it, only to have it start acting up in the middle of a project. Yesterday I could not have asked for better results! I was able to machine quilt half of the quilt without incident.

I really think a big part of my recent success on the machine has to do with the fact that I cleaned out the tension mechanism. Not too long ago the machine was serviced, the motor changed out, and the feed dogs permenantly dropped. I would have thought the service tech would have cleaned out the tensioning mechanism. Maybe my first clue that it might not have been done should have been when I sat down in the shop to test it out before taking it home was the way he grabbed the material from me and pushed it through, like I didn't know what I was doing. He was very impatient. I don't have a different place to take the machine real close, so I joined an online group that fixes old machines themselves. I learned more from them and was able to do more for the machine myself than I paid the service tech for! Plus I felt really good about doing it myself.

We had chili and hot dogs for dinner last night. The chili had all day to cook in the crock pot and turned out really good! Monday night we had saltesa sausage, oven fried potato wedges and green bean casserole. The green bean casserole was a treat because I found a different brand of the crunchy onions. Aldi sells them, probably just seasonally, in a pouch for almost half what a can of the name brand costs. I bought a couple bags to see if they were any good. They are! Think I'll go back and get a few more bags to have in the cabinet.

No comments: