Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK day

Hopefully I can get my son up and out of the sewing room at some point before noon today. I would like to move forward on the Roll Roll Cotton Boll mystery. I need to press those squares but I'm thinking I will go ahead with the sewing part on the next clue and press the squares in between times when I can't or don't feel like getting upstairs.

So I made those burritos last night for dinner, with the intention of using the extra cooked sausage in more burritos for Ev's lunch at work today. I get up this morning, and there's the bowl the extra sausage was in, empty, on the counter. I guess Ev got hungry last night after I went to bed and had a snack! We will be doing a little running around this morning, so we can stop and get more. I used Farmland's Pork and Bacon flavored sausage and it was very good.

This afternoon we are supposed to get some rain. It's supposed to turn to snow, later. I would like to see the rain come and wash away all the old yucky snow we have had on the ground for a while now, then see a nice new layer of snow fall. It's supposed to get into the 40's, so I think it's a safe bet that the snow on the ground now will be melted soon.

Been eating a lot of fruit. On the new Weight Watchers plan fruit is a 'free' food. You can eat as much fresh fruit, or fruit in water, as you like. One day last week I think I ate 6 clementines throughout the day!

I changed out the bed linen yesterday and as I was remaking the bed I got to thinking about all the time there was spent in making all the quilts that are currently on my bed. There is the quilt my grandmother (who will be gone 7 years this coming Sunday) and I made when I was 17. My first real quilt making venture.

Then there is the 'chicken scratch' purple and white gingham that the same grandmother made for me. She made one for each of her 'girls'. It's a nice big quilt too, just like my first quilt was.

Also on the bed is Ev's double nine patch. It took a long long time to hand quilt that puppy, but once it was done, it got pride of place on the bed and never left! Consequently, it is now showing a lot of wear. Being washed every couple weeks has faded it, and the puppy has caused a few patches to be placed on it.

There is the hand stitched trip around the world quilt, that really is more of a throw sized one, but Ev likes it so much it is on the bed, over mostly his side (he gets colder than me at night). I hand stitched that one in some really neat ways, each square had it's own designation as to what design it would get. For example, the green colored squares got a swirl in them, representing the movement of grass. The red squares got hearts stitched into them for love. The orange squares got a sun design in them for the sun. The purple squares got a cross for our Lord's passion. Blue squares got a flower in them. Black squares got a star in them just like stars in the night sky. There were a few more designs, but I can't think of them right now.

The only machine quilted one on the bed is a quilt as you go string block pattern. It was one that I started out doing the exact same geometrical patterns in each block, then got tired of that and made all kinds of different designs on the blocks. After I pieced it together, I stood back and looked at it and thought about how the squares represented life in a way. The ones that were geometrically the same reminded me about how they were boring to make, but 'safe'. No adventure in them! That, to me, represented the normal everyday times in my life. The other squares, the ones with the free motion designs in them, fun to make, or frustrating to make, some crooked, some graceful, all different, represented the times in my life when it might have been chaotic, but I still came through. Those times, interlaced with the everyday times, are just the way things go.

Enough philosophy for the morning! Ev's up and we are going to breakfast!

No comments: