Thursday, November 17, 2011

More ideas

So I have three charm packs of 5" squares that are in spring-y colors.  I just bought them through the mail, with the intention of participating in a challenge, but I've changed my mind about doing that.  What I thought I would do now is just put the squares together in rows of 8 to make a lap quilt.  I'm not quite sure how many squares are in the charm packs.  Each one will take 64 squares.  If I don't have enough squares to make two, which is what I would like to do, I think it would look nice alternating print squares and a constant, some pretty solid or even muslin.

I also have quite a few 6" squares cut, all miscellaneous fabrics, that would work out nicely for another lap quilt or two.  Those could be done in rows of 7, so I would only need 49 for each lap quilt.  Hoping that I have enough to do two that way, and again, I could always use half miscellaneous prints and half of a constant, such as a muslin, square.

As of now, I'm feeling pretty confident that I will be able to get 12 tops completed.  Getting them basted and quilted and bound - well, let's just see how things progress!  I have been wanting to make these using mostly stash materials and batting.  My stockpile of batting has decreased quite a bit, so that is an area that I'm sure I'll have to purchase things.  Normally I work with all cotton batting, making all my scraps all cotton, and pretty much a no brainer that they are all the same fiber content.  Well, it has become increasingly difficult to find the all cotton batting at a reasonable price, so yesterday I broke down and purchased an 80/20 bagged batt in a crib size.  With a little piecing, I MIGHT be able to get enough from one bag for two lap quilts.  It will be close, but even if I don't have quite enough, I think I will be able to get three from two bags at least.

No comments: