Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pet Project

I have always been a pack rat. It is difficult for me to throw anything away. Well, with my fabric stash, this hasn't been a bad thing, on the whole, but I have a lot of fabric that I would never use in a quilt. Most of this fabric was included in boxes I was given or had purchased at garage sales.

Yesterday I called the local animal shelter, Adopt A Pet, and asked if they needed any blankets for the bottoms of some of the cages. They said yes and told me what size to make them. When I got home from work I pulled out some ugly fabrics and cut enough to make five mats while I was cooking supper. I am going to put a piece of heavy fabric in the middle as a batting. I think I'll use the industrial Singer to free motion quilt them. That will be good practice for me. The animals won't care what the stitching looks like, or what the fabrics look like.

This project may also jump start me into sewing again. I know it was because of the heat that I didn't do much sewing, but it's starting to cool off some and I'm anxious to be doing some more sewing. I have to get darling daughter's graduation quilt done soon.

We had a nice vacation. I made some yo-yo's during the car rides and while at the campsite. It was mindless sewing, but satisfying because I was doing something, at least. I went to the Nolting representative to see the long arm machines. The reps were really really nice. They let me try the Fun Quilter and two of the industrial long arms. I don't think there is much room for me as a representative in this area. I do, however, really want a long arm machine. I have wanted one for quite a while. Since they are expensive, I don't see myself owning one in the near future, but it's something to dream about.

No comments: