Thursday, July 8, 2010
















I'm not sure if you can see all of them, but there are five cows in this picture! When I take my walk in the afternoon at work, sometimes I walk by these half grown dudes. This time they were all in a big puddle of water, kinda part of a drainage ditch. It was a pretty hot day and that was how they were staying cool, I guess!

The other picture is of the sewing machine I inherited from my grandmother. I oiled and cleaned it. It runs very nicely so far. Going to give it a good workout one of these days!

My retreat in August got canceled. Boo hoo. Poor me. Okay, I have whined enough. I think I will still take the day off and just have an at home sew-in.

Already thinking about next April and the Paducah Quilt Show. I am going to talk to Donna about it seriously and get plans in the works. We both need some kind of trip to look forward to. We are also hoping to go to the Amish area and outlet mall before Christmas.

3 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I believe (but am not certain, not having one myself) that this old Kenmore has the old metal gears. It is probably very heavy in comparison to today's machines. But those metal gears will last forever. Simply clean it, oil it, and you'll have a friend for life!

bunbear said...

I am certain it has the metal gears! This machine is a few years OLDER than mine, which is also a Kenmore, and has metal gears.

Yes, it is heavy. I have cleaned and oiled it and test sewn a bit on it and think it's ready to rock and roll.

I wish the sewing machine manufacturers would make a new machine with metal gears. I have sent this suggestion to Singer, and got a cookie cutter response about them sending it to their R&D department. I guess if they started making them with metal gears again, the machines would last too long and they wouldn't sell as many machines...who knows?

When I brought this treasure home, I told my husband that I would rather have this machine in it's great condition, even being as old as it is, over a brand new machine. And I mean it!

Linda in Calif. said...

I saw the picture of your machine and I do believe it's the exact one I have! I love that machine. When I first started working (when I was a teen) it was one of my first major purchases. I just wanted to let you know it can sew the most awesome machine applique. I've had so many compliments on my work using it. And it's easy to sew that scant 1/4 inch seam on too. I too call it a work horse. I have a newer Babylock but I will never part with my first love. Which by the way I've always cleaned and oiled. Never had to take it to the machine repairman. Can you tell I'm excited for you too? :-)