Monday, December 12, 2016

Cookie-A-Thon

Sunday was a busy baking day for me.  Next weekend I am going to be exchanging cookies with Mary, so I need to have three different kinds of cookies baked.

The first thing I did was make the dough for the Amish Sugar Cookies.


Here it is ready to go into the fridge.  It has to chill for a few hours before it can be made into cookies.  The dough is then made into balls, rolled in sugar, and flattened on the cookie sheet.  I wanted them to be a bit festive, so I made my own colored sugar!


All I did was take about a third cup of granulated sugar, put it in a jar, dropped a few drops of food coloring on top, closed it up, and shook the jar.  It turned out pretty good.  There were a few spots that were darker, where the food coloring slightly clumped up, but it wasn't bad at all and I didn't have to run out and get colored sugar (and pay for it!).  I will make my own colored sugar again in the future!

The sugar cookie recipe makes over 6 dozen cookies, so one batch was plenty.

The other cookies that I baked yesterday were walnut cookies.  They were a shortbread cookie with ground up walnuts in them, then rolled in sugar.  The original recipe had them rolled in granulated sugar, but the cookies I remember were rolled in powdered sugar, so that was what I did.  The recipe only made two dozen cookies, so I made two batches.

I have one more batch of cookies to make for the swap.  I think I will make oatmeal raisin cookies.  They are a good old stand by that a lot of people like.

No comments: