Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Labor Day Accomplishment


I decided to load another nursing home quilt on Gemma yesterday.  I had thought I would just get it loaded and ready, but once I had it that far, I thought, why not do something different?  I've been watching videos for different quilting designs and this one gal does a lot of marking with chalk.


The pattern on this top lent itself to become a good candidate for grid quilting.  I marked out squares the same size as the sqaures in the strips, using different chalk methods.  I used a chalk wheel for a bit, then switched to regular old pieces of school chalk, which worked a little better, but made a thicker line.  In this scenario, a larger line was okay, but if I were doing fine work, I would have preferred a thinner line.


After marking the grid, I started making clamshell shapes.  I didn't mark a center for the arc to hit, but I think I did okay.


And, believe it or not, I completed the quilting all in one pop!  Start to finish, including loading the quilt on Gemma and trimming it when complete, it took me 2-1/2 hours.  The quilt is approximately 60"x60".

The quilting went very quickly and I'm pleased with the look.


I even like the way it looks on the back side.  Tonight I hope to have enough energy to load up another nursing home quilt when I get home from work.  Moving right along!  Whee!

No comments: