Friday, February 15, 2008

As the Needle Breaks...

Frustration! I started quilting Chaotic Strips on the industrial Singer. Worked my way across the bottom 10" of it without a problem. Then I broke a needle. No problem, I have two packages of 10 needles each. I put in a new size 14 needle. Started to sew. It broke. Replaced the needle again. It broke. This went on for 5 size 14 needles! Thinking it may be the package of needles, I put in a size 12. It broke. Now I'm really getting mad. My friend stopped by to pick up a quilt pattern and she asked what was the matter. So I showed her. The machine sewed just fine. Okaaaaaaay. Told her she needed to just come over and sit in the sewing room while I finished the quilt. By this time I was so aggravated, I thought I had better quit on an up note. The machine was working. That was Tuesday.

Last night, Thursday, I decided to continue, thinking somehow I had solved the problem. Ha. I sewed for about 3" and the needle broke. I took the machine apart. Took the tension discs apart. Took the faceplate apart. Took the presser foot apart. Hmm. Presser foot. Needle alignment? Hmm. Okay, maybe, just maybe I'm pulling the needle too far to one side when I finish an area and it's moving the needle just enough that it's hitting the presser foot. The manual I downloaded from the internet says to pull the thread to the back (I was pulling to the right, since the needle threads left to right). Started doing that. It seems to have worked. I sewed for 45 minutes without a hitch. I am really hoping it will continue to sew properly, because I have a three day weekend in which I plan to sew up a storm.

Tonight I have some clam chowder ready for dinner. I made it from scratch last night. I put together some bread in the bread machine before I left for work this morning. Dinner will be all ready when I get home from work. I know I can spend several hours in the sewing room if I feel like it. Darling Daughter is working until 8 and since it's Friday night, I sincerely doubt she will be spending a lot of time at home. And since Darling Son is grounded, the last person he wants to be around is his jailer, so he'll be occupied on the computer or play station. Darling Husband is working afternoons, and even if he gets off early, it won't be until after 7. He's had a terrible head cold, so I would bet he goes home and goes to bed early.

Just a note, his union and the company he works for are in contract negotiations right now. I have to say, it's something that makes me nervous. He hadn't worked for a union before this job, and this is the first time their contract has come up since he has been there. Combine that with the fact that the company has been bought out by some big corporation that the union hasn't dealt with before, it gets a little hairy. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments: