Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Did some sewing on my day off

Yesterday I had a day off work for a check up at the doctor. I managed to get a couple things done. I had bought some flat sheets that I wanted to try and turn into waterbed sheets. The first set I tried to do this with I cut them too short! The second set I managed to do right. Here's a picture of them all done and on the bed, and yes, I made the double nine patch quilt!

This time I didn't even cut the sheets. I sewed the pockets on one of them at all four corners. I just used muslin for them. Then I sewed the bottoms together between the pockets. They fit just fine. I used two full sized flat sheets. They were a little bit big, but nothing that would make any difference, once on the bed. And so much cheaper than buying waterbed sheets! The two flat sheets were $7 apiece and the muslin was from my stash.

I'm not a big one for buying used sheets, like at yard sales or thrift shops. That said, I came across a yard sale that had a lot of linens. They were barely used and not stained, so I purchased a couple of flat sheets. I'm going to use them to make another set after I wash them.

Another project I finished yesterday was the apron for my friend, Lori. School starts next week and she's a lunch lady. She was tickled pink to get a new apron to start the school year with! I got a cream puff out of the deal, since when I went over to take her the apron, she had just finished making cream puffs. MMMMM. Very good. Except one of the things the doctor told me was to lower my cholesterol and my blood sugar. ugh. Gotta work on that because I really don't want to go on more medication.

I also gave my friend, Diane, the new set of bags for the outdoor game. She liked them. With both the bags and the apron, I gave them to my friends in reuseable shopping bags and told them they could start going 'green' now that they have a reuseable bag!

My kids are going to be starting/going back to college next week. I cannot believe I have two children in college! It's almost like a dream. I'm so proud of them! Darling son went to pick up his books yesterday and darling daughter will be going in a couple days to do the same thing.

My brother is doing well after his surgery. He went to the doctor yesterday also and got a good report. He can't return to work until next monday because he has a pretty long commute and the doctor doesn't want him doing a lot of driving yet.

No comments: