Thursday, April 5, 2007

Blue Shirting Quilt Finished!


Last night I sat down at 6 p.m. and decided to work on the binding of this quilt. Considering it is 84" square, this was quite a task. I had already sewn it on the machine, which was an absolute nightmare. I usually do a double fold binding, sew it to the top, then fold over to the back and hand sew binding to backing. The bear of it was that the thread kept breaking on me while I was sewing the binding to the quilt on the machine. I finally gave up on doing it on the newer Bernina machine and got out my old faithful Kenmore (which is almost 30 years old and has metal gears - gotta love 'em!). The Kenmore came through for me, but I didn't dare try to sew the back of the binding on the machine. Didn't want to push my luck! So last night I sat down and hand stitched the binding to the back. I put the last stitch in at 11:10 p.m. It felt really good to have it finished. Tomorrow I have the day off work, but I brought the quilt to work today and I'm leaving the quilt at work tonight because a co-worker who only comes in on Friday's has expressed interest in buying it. If she doesn't want it, that's fine, I have other options.
I really did enjoy making this quilt. The fact that the top was made completely out of shirts made for an interesting project. I started collecting some green shirts from the thrift shop and I think I will cut them into strips this weekend so I can start another log cabin. There are a couple things I will do differently in construction this time, though. This one was made without measuring the strips as they were added, just squared them off with the previous round. I didn't feel this made a very accurate square. I think I'll cut each set of strips to size before sewing. Maybe... wish me luck!

1 comment:

WhiteStone said...

Hi, Bunbear, I found your blog and am amazed that you didn't post this lovely shirt log-cabin quilt to the WWQP BB! I make shirt quilts, too. A couple years ago I made a similar log-cabin using shirtings and it now resides in the home of a friend. I miss it!!! And may have to make another for myself. LOL
JudyPete