Monday, April 23, 2007

Purse

Here's a picture of the quilted purse I made. The fabric was all stash fabric. I had to buy snaps and a button, but that was it. This pattern was adapted from one that was on the internet. Some members of my quilt guild made versions of it at a local shop. I am not able to go to classes at that shop, usually, because of the times they have them. Since the gal that owns the shop also comes to the quild meetings, I usually can participate in things after the fact. We are doing a block of the month with her starting next month at guild.

I used leftover batting in the purse, by the way. I didn't have a piece big enough, so I joined some scraps with a wide zig zag stitch. I also made customized pockets on the inside. I made one side just to fit my checkbook, pens and cell phone, and then the other side has a couple pockets that fit various stuff I always seem to have in my purse.

The snaps and button were bought at the Amish shop in Arthur Saturday. I hope the snaps hold up because they are just sewn on. I did use a lot of thread to sew them on, but I am pretty rough on my purse. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the top open with just the button on it or put a zipper in. I don't like to sew zippers in, but I'm thinking that all my junk will fall out if I don't have a closed top. Going to 'test drive' it for a while with the button.

Not that I'm still complaining about my 'newer' machine, but all of the quilting and sewing done on this purse was done on old faithful. That old Kenmore went through 5 quilted layers at the sides when the handles were attached. Considering the newer machine can't handle binding without breaking threads left and right, I'm seriously considering closely watching Ebay for any machines identical to the one I have.

No comments: