Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Coal Train

This has absolutely nothing to do with quilting, other than the fact that waiting for one of these trains delays my getting home to sew!

I took this picture out of my car window last night on the way home from work. These trains are really long and really slow.

Coal mining is a big part of the economy in our area, although it is waning some at this time. These trains load up at the mines, then go to the power plants. Okay, there's another connection: the coal makes electricity to power my sewing machine! ha ha.

Oh, and for any Route 66 buffs, these tracks run along side Route 66.

I did get over to the Salvation Army Thrift store yesterday. I bought six men's cotton shirts all in fall colors, and I also bought a sweatshirt for my husband to wear. The shirts are for quilts. I washed and dried everything last night. Tonight I'll cut up a couple of the shirts. I should have enough shirts now in that color scheme to start a quilt. I think the sweatshirt was brand new, or very close to it. You can't beat the deals there. If you have the time to poke around for a while, you can really come up with some bargains. And even if you don't have a lot of time, you can get some deals! I went on my lunch hour.

The chicken and dumplings were good last night. Tonight I'm making a hamburger stroganoff for dinner.

No comments: