Sunday, September 1, 2013

Can it!

Here's half of the salsa I canned.  Total ended up being 44 pints of tomato salsa.

Then I got to thinking how much everyone liked the peach salsa last year.  Sigh.  So, this afternoon I went to the farm stand and bought a 10 pound bag of peaches.  I actually had the guy bring out a case of peaches, but then changed my mind.  I didn't want to do that much work.  I have the peaches all cut and the tomatoes added to it, just need to add a few other ingredients and it will be ready to go.  Right now, Ev and I are getting ready to go out to dinner, so I am going to put the pot in the refrigerator.  It will be short work to add the rest of the stuff and start cooking it tonight when we get home. 

I'm also out of wide mouth pint jars!  Johanna is in Litchfield so I asked her to bring home a case when she comes home later tonight.  Last year I picked up two cases at the end of the season, but the tomato salsa took all of them and then some!  If I remember, I'll have to go check out the jars at Wal Mart and watch for them to go on clearance.  Dollar General only had two cases today of pint jars, and they were not wide mouth, so I didn't get them.  I just like to stick with the wide mouth jars because they are good for everything, from salsa to pickles to even baking bread in them.  Oh, and in our house they also serve as drinking glasses when the mood strikes...  haha.  And to be perfectly clear, we did this before there ever was a show called Duck Dynasty!  haha.

No comments: