Sunday, September 15, 2013

The weekend in pictures

Yesterday I went to the thrift store.  I had bought a potted collection of succulents when I was at the grocery store that desperately needed to be repotted.  I thought the thrift store might have a good decorative planter I could put them in.  Here's what I found:

The color doesn't show very well in the photo, but the bottom of the planter is green and there are roses around the top with a couple ladybugs on them.  I did my best arranging the succulents in it.  There were about 8 different little plants.  I'm going to take it to work tomorrow and put it on my desk.  Johanna was over today and when she saw the plants just fell in love with them.  We had to run to the grocery store this afternoon, so I bought her one.  Can't wait to see how she repots hers.

I also picked up this piece of crockery:

This slammed me back into my childhood immediately.  I had to buy it.  I wish there had been more of them.  These are the exact same kind of dishes my great grandma had when I was growing up.  This is what we ate dinner our of every night.  They are what I guess you would call a soup plate.  Flat on the bottom then narrow sides.  I've been keeping my eyes open for these for a long time and really hope to find more.

I made a huge pot of beef vegetable soup yesterday.  If I do say so myself, I think this was the best pot of soup I have ever made! 

I have extra noodles in my bowl, but you get the idea.  The green beans and zuccini were from Johanna's garden.  She had put them in the freezer earlier in the year.  The corn was fresh off the cob.  I just had a lot of goodies in there and it had a very good flavor.

I cleaned my plate.  I think I'll take a container of it for my lunch tomorrow at work.

I did a few sewing related things today.  Nick had brought over a dress shirt he bought then didn't like the way it fit.  He is a thin guy and likes his shirts to be that 'slim fit'.  I had to do the same thing a few decades ago for his dad's shirts.  I took in the sides and made the arms thinner.  He was very pleased with the way it fit.  That made me happy.

I also got the four patch plaid top loaded on Gemma.  I gave Mom a choice between it and another top to give her friend and that's the one she chose.  I love the way it looks so crisp and clean on the frame.

It's ready to be quilted.  I'm looking forward to working on it over this week after work.  If it gets done this week, I will take it up to my mom next week when we go for a visit.  I also put some four patch units together with solid squares.  That's my upstairs sewing room project.

One last picture.  Here's how Ivy spent part of her Sunday afternoon:

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend!





1 comment:

Dora, the Quilter said...

I *love* those soup bowls. We had some too--on the farm in Central Illinois. We didn't have any plates. My mom said she thought my grandma had gotten them at my great-grandpa's general store and that they had been some sort of premium that came with some grocery purchase. (Of course, we know how family history can be more myth than history, so it's possible that's not true.)