Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter Dinner

There were a couple things that I did a little differently this year for our dinner.  The ham that I bought was the same brand, but I only bought a half, so we don't have ham coming out of our ears for a week.  It was a Kretchmar brand and I bought it at the IGA store in Staunton.  I know I could buy it somewhere else, but I just try and get all my meat there because the quality is top notch and the service is above and beyond.  Kretchmar isn't a cheap brand, but well worth the price.  If I could afford it, I would buy a Mickelberry brand, but they are even more expensive and getting harder and harder to find.  So Krechmar it was.

Johanna asked if I would make a Coca Cola ham, so I looked online and really, the only difference between the recipe and what I normally do was that you used Coke instead of 7 Up.  But, wow, what a difference in taste!  That ham rocked it!  We all ate quite a bit of ham, but Ben won that contest.  Every time I looked at him, he was reaching for another piece of ham!  I absolutely love it!  It makes me feel so good when they kids and their s.o.'s like what I cook.

Another dish I made that I hadn't made before, was glazed carrots.  They were time consuming, but not difficult.  I used a 1 lb. bag of baby carrots.  Heated some butter in a saucepan and dumped the carrots in there with a little salt and pepper and let them cook on low until they were tender.  Then added some orange juice and a squirt of honey and let it reduce.  Took probably 45 minutes for them to be completely done, but they sure were worth it.  Yum!  Next time, I might cut the carrots in smaller pieces so they cook quicker, but it really wasn't a big deal.

I sent a lot of leftovers home with Johanna and also with Nick.  It was a wonderful day and I was so thankful that all the kids were home for dinner!

Johnathon was with us, too, which was very nice.  We had a little egg hunt in the front yard before dinner, which he got a kick out of.

No comments: