Sunday, February 28, 2010

Finished Quilt for Kids...Finally!

I finally finished the Quilt For Kids quilt. It is in the dryer right now. As you can tell from the picture, the border on the sides is smaller than the border on the top and bottom. I do not know what I was thinking when I went to trim the backing and batting. I just merrily lopped off half of the border! What an idiot... At any rate, I just did the same to the other side and called it good.

The quilting on it is fairly simple. Just straight lines in a criss cross pattern and diagonally through the green squares. I will get it sent off tomorrow.

I'm thinking that when I have things that I MUST sew, I just shut down and don't sew anything. This is something I need to learn to get past, especially if I am going to want to do other people's quilts on a longarm someday!

Everett has had a terrible cold for 9 days. He coughs constantly. At the very beginning, when he would try to sleep his breathing would be so labored, I woke him up to try and get him to go to the e.r. I was afraid he would stop breathing. I have been sleeping in the living room the past few nights, trying to get some kind of night's sleep. If he doesn't show some improvement in the next couple of days he is going to have to go to the doctor.

The Olympics are almost over. The closing ceremonies are on television right now. This is the first time I can say that I really enjoyed watching them alot.

Today I filed mine and Ev's Federal and State taxes. I promised the kids that I would get their taxes filed this week. That is always such a chore and I'm always relieved when it's finished. My dad gets real tense and psyched our when tax season rolls around.

We had a fellow come out and give us an estimate for new windows. It's well past time we do something about them. When the wind blows the curtains actually move in front of the windows!

Our hot water heater sprung a leak. Tomorrow I have to call around and see if we can get someone to replace it. If the cost isn't too much for installation, we will just have someone do it, otherwise Everett will have to tackle it. I would prefer to have someone else do it, someone that does it for a living, since it has that gas connection.

We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner tonight. Dad's birthday was Friday and that whole side of the family went out to eat. It was a good time, but I really blew it with points! I'll be back on track tomorrow!

2 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Love the stripey fabric border.
Yep...we are old enough that we usually hire someone for those remodel jobs. The new windows for our house are stored in a shed (by the contractor) until the snow drifts disappear! Next July or August, probably! LOL

bingo~bonnie said...

congratulations on completing your QFK quilt! I can understand your relief as I will be feeling the same IF and WHEN I finish up mine.

piecing it took no time and most of the quilting was so simple... but then i got to trying to do something fancy smancy in the large 6" blocks on mine (duck fabric) - trying ot put in life saver floatie designs I thought up and did 3 blocks and have spent 3 days ripping and ripping... and jsut did large meander in the rest. not too much more ripping to go... then I can move on the borders and binding. ;)

oh and have you seen the inspirational video Downey shared - I posted it on my blog - come on over and take a look ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie