Monday, April 15, 2013

Ten days and counting down!

Next week is the quilt show in Paducah and I'm counting the days until we go!  Today I called to confirm our hotel reservation (just out of paranoia because I had made it online so long ago!).  All was well with that.  I have our name badges ready to be printed out for admittance to the show.  We are going to be attending a couple classes and lectures and are really looking forward to that.  It's going to be so much fun!  Can't wait!

I'm still working on the second top.  I've resigned myself to the fact that I may have to give just the tops for their birthdays and then take them back to be quilted!  We shall see how it goes. 

Yesterday I went to something I had never been to before.  It was a fundraiser and they were having a 'quarter auction'.  My friend had been to one before and showed me the ropes.  If you haven't been to one, I'll try to explain the concept. 

There are items which are up for bid.  Most of the things at this one were donated and were worth between $10 and $40.  When you get there you buy 1 or more paddles with numbers on them.  As an item comes up for bid, you can bid on it with 1 or more of your paddles.  Each item has a bid of 1 or more quarters.  So, if I bought 2 paddles and wanted to bid on an item that was a quarter bid, I could either bid one quarter with one paddle, or have 2 chances and bid both paddles for 50 cents.  When everyone has contributed their quarters, they draw a number and that paddle number wins the item.

I ended up getting a $25 gift card to the lumber yard when they called my number, and also a drink cooler and snacks from another bid.  It was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed it. 

No comments: