Saturday, April 6, 2013

Traveling memories

When I was a young girl my mom and I would travel between Illinois and Ohio.  This was in the 1970's and I used to get a thrill out of making the 18 wheeler's honk their horns by pumping my fist at the driver.  Well, this one time I was spending the long drive entertaining myself in this manner every time Mom passed a big rig and got such a surprise.  Mom and I stopped at a little restaurant along the way and while we were enjoying our meal this man comes over to the table and says to me "Do you remember me, Little Girl?".  Now, my mother was about ready to jump out of the booth and slap the man, thinking he was some kind of sicko, but I pipe up with "Yes!  You were in the US Mail truck!".  He got such a kick out of it and it made such a nice memory for me (although I doubt Mom remembers it so fondly...), I just had to write about it. 

The reason this little story popped into my head after so many decades is that Nick and I were at a restaurant yesterday and he wanted to say something to a little girl about her cute hat, but he didn't say anything for fear of being labeled a pervert.  Kind of sad, but that is the way the world is these days.  I told Nick about that time so many years ago, and that his grandma did indeed think the guy was a perv, so Nick made the right choice to remain silent.

I've made some progress today on the quilt top.  I completed the Stained Glass top.  Here's a pic:

This is just a corner of the top because I didn't have a quilt holder around.  I sure hope this border is okay.  I'm thinking the binding will be black.

No comments: