Sunday, July 14, 2013

Moving right along and a decision to make

Sometimes I wonder where my brain is.  When I started making these blocks I determined I had enough material and a bit to spare.  When it got down to the wire, I ended up piecing one of the areas with scraps of the same material because I ran out.  This confused me but I made it work and kept going.  So now, I'm in the home stretch, sewing the blocks with the sashing and cornerstones into rows.  I have the first row put together and it hits me that the size of the blocks with the sashing is bigger than I thought.  This means, obviously, that the quilt will be bigger than I thought it was going to be. 

So, after I got the first row sewn together I measured the length of the row.  It measures 59".  Now, I know that's not too big for a throw, but I had decided I wanted to keep each of these nursing home quilts to 50" square.  My dilemma is this - go ahead and make the quilt six blocks by six blocks and have it be 59" square or unstitch the one block and make it be five blocks by five blocks.  I'm leaning toward making it five by five and putting one border on it just to tie it together.  Going to have to think about it for a bit.

Here's what the blocks look like with the sashing and cornerstones.  The cornerstones color is a very pale pink but it doesn't show up very well in the picture.

Of course, if I drop it down to five by five, I'm going to have eleven extra blocks.  Sigh.

No comments: