Friday, February 21, 2014

Good night after a lousy day at work

Last night I had a pretty good night.  When I got home from work I didn't have to make dinner or anything because Nick and I were going out to Tilley's after he was done teaching lessons and I was picking up a burger from there for Ev.  Since I had some time before Nick was supposed to get there, I went upstairs and picked out fabric for the next pair of blocks in my swap with Mary.  I decided to do birds in the air for the block pattern in two different muted yellow prints.  I like the way the colors are playing with each other in this block design.  I have all the pieces cut for the block and sewed together the half square triangle blocks.  I need to press them and then can continue with assembly.  That will put me a week ahead on the blocks, but that's okay because we all know that life happens and there may be a week when I can't get one made!

Mary keeps asking sly questions about the blocks, trying to get me to tell her what they look like!  It's a lot of fun, keeping her guessing.  hee hee hee.

Nick showed up earlier than expected, which was a treat, and we were able to go to Tilley's to eat early.  I got the wings, of course, and some onion rings.  Nick got a veggie wrap and we both shared some fried mushrooms.  Brought a lot of goodies home for Ev, including his burger and fries.  I really hope that place stays in business this time!

Although the quilting and Nick time last night were nice, the weather was not.  The reason Nick was early is because the power was out at the studio where he teaches guitar.  We had severe winds in the afternoon and all night yesterday, including thunderstorms.  I'm hearing that quite a few tractor trailer rigs were blown over or jack knived on the high way.  Lots of tree limbs down in town.  When I was upstairs sewing I heard a very loud thump on the roof, which I thought was a branch, but when I went out this morning I didn't see anything up there.  Then in the middle of the night there were repeated loud thumps and bangs on the front porch right outside our bedroom window.  Turns out the swing on the porch was being lifted up and slammed down repeatedly.  Made for a bit of restless sleeping, that's for sure.

All this after a particular lousy day at work yesterday...  I didn't mind, really, because I was home.

4 comments:

liz said...

How does Ivy do in such weather?!
Just found you, by the way, and lover her picture! :0)
Liz
^,,^__)
Oh, ps, I quilt too!

Lynley said...

that's no good, that you had a bad day at work! I hope the rest of the weekend was fun and Monday was better (although you probably haven't had Monday yet, hang on, very confusing...)

bunbear said...

Hi Liz, thanks for commenting. Ivy likes the snow, but she isn't crazy about being outside for any length of time. Then when she comes back inside she is a wild thing for a few minutes. It's like the cold gives her a burst of energy or something! She's a character all right!

bunbear said...

I'm hoping Monday is a better day too, Lynley! So far it's been okay. Not great, but not horrible. We did have a fun weekend at least. Hope you are surviving those horrible temps.