Thursday, April 9, 2015

Lots of Water!


This is the drainage ditch outside my office.  It's just filled with rainwater!  Sure wish I could send some of it out to California.  I guess we need the rain, too.  Had lots of storms last night and early this morning.

Not feeling 100% right now.  I don't know if it's allergies or if I have a bit of a cold.  Hoping it's just allergies.  Last night I went to bed at 7:30!  I was just going to lay down and watch t.v. in bed, but fell asleep before I got the t.v. turned on!  Slept for a good two hours until the thunderstorms woke me up.  Felt okay enough to stay up for a little longer then.

One of the small towns a few miles away from me is having a lot of trouble with "mine subsidence" again.  A few years ago, their brand new elementary school experienced so much structural damage from the old mines collapsing that they ended up closing the school.  What is happening, is the old "pillars" that are wooden and were used to hold up the mine shafts are now collapsing underground.  As that happens, everything aboveground is shifting.  Also, there is methane gas being released from below, which is dangerous.

In my part of the state a lot of homes are built over old coal mines, mine included.  We carry insurance for mine subsidence, but I sure hope we never need to use it!

No comments: