Sunday, January 20, 2013

Another home project

Saturday Ev and I took a trip to Lowe's and picked up a ceiling fan and light fixture for the dining room.  Our dining room really isn't used as such for a variety of reasons.  We don't even call it the dining room.  It's just the 'room with the stairs' or the 'sitting room', which sounds so stuffy it makes me want to gag. 

Anyway, the ancient upright piano we have, which weighs a ton and probably will never be moved, at least not in one piece, is in the room and is against the wall with the light switch.  The light switch is behind the piano and also has a couple of outlets on it that are only live when the light switch is turned on.

I'm  not a very tall woman and don't have freakishly large arms, therefor it has always been difficult for me to turn the light switch on and off because I can't reach it.  I used to keep a yardstick handy, but long ago just resigned myself to not being able to get at the switch.  I placed a thrift store floor lamp in a different corner of the room and called it good.

Nick has set up his computer in the room now and it would really be nice to be able to use that outlet, however I wouldn't want the overhead light to be on all the time.  The solution for us is to put up a fan with a light that has the little pull chains so I don't have to keep reaching behind the piano for the switch.  This will also be good because it will help cool the kitchen a little bit, being right next to it.  The way my house is laid out, there aren't doors between the kitchen, sitting room (gag) and front room.  They are all in a row, with the kitchen and front room on the ends.

So that's the next project on the home improvement agenda.  I don't know if it will get started this weekend or not, but at least we have the fan bought.  Who knows what other parts we will need once we tear into the old light fixture.  It's always a surprise when you live in an old house!

No comments: