Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A dashing square

Here's my ninth square for Paducah.  It's a churn dash block.  I love the fabrics in it.  Last night I made two of them.  I used my home made pressing spray on the pieces and was impressed with the nice crisp feeling it gives the material.  I'm thinking I might go back and press the rest of the squares with some of it.  It's supposed to be like the product "Best Press" and give the material some stiffness and help with the wrinkles.  What I really need to use it on is that antique bow tie top I bought a couple summers ago at a tag sale.  It is desperately wrinkled.

The home made solution is really easy - it's one cup of distilled water and one tablespoon of vodka.  You can add a drop of essential oil if you want, but I decided not to.  Once the fabrics are pressed you cannot smell anything on them at all (without the essential oil), and that is just fine with me.  I had to go over to my dad's to get some vodka because we don't have any hard liquor in the house!  And I'm too cheap to go buy a bottle of vodka just for a tablespoon!  Now, if it had called for beer that would have been a different story...  haha!  This is not my original recipe, by the way.  It's all over the chat boards and different blogs, so I don't know who to give credit to.  I have mine in a new spray bottle.

I think the next block I am going to make will be 3" spool blocks set into a 12" square (16 little blocks).  I've had a lot of practice making those blocks, since that's my leader ender with shirt fabrics.

Over the weekend one night we just had sandwiches for supper.  I had bought some ciabatta buns for my sandwich and have been bringing a sandwich from home for lunch at work.  Saving some money and have a good lunch to boot.  I might take my lunch and go to the park today.  It's supposed to get up to 80 degrees!  But then the bottom is going to drop out and we have snow predicted for tomorrow night!  Go figure...  Been crazy weather lately.

No comments: