Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hancock's order and Bisquick Chicken Recipe

Well, I'm not home yet, but the FedEx tracking says the Hancock's of Paducah order has been delivered.  I'm excited and anxious to get home and tear into it!  The order was for precut 10" squares of Tonga Treats.  I remember these from when I was there and scrounging around in their back room.  I liked them a lot and even bought some to use on the nursing home quilts last year.  Well, I bought them and that's what they ended up being used for at least!

Last night's dinner was a hit.  I made 'Bisquick Chicken'.  My dad used to make this all the time, without quite as much spice as I used, but it was good.  Here's the recipe as it appears on Bisquick's website:

Bisquick Chicken

1 tablespoon butter or margarine

2/3 cup Original Bisquick® mix

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)  

Heat oven to 425°F. Melt butter in rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches, in oven.

Stir together Bisquick, paprika, salt and pepper; coat chicken. Place skin sides down in dish (dish and butter should be hot).   Bake 35 minutes; turn chicken. Bake about 15 minutes longer or until juice is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.

Now, here's how I changed it up.  I used Jiffy Baking Mix (just what I had in the cabinet and I think it's cheaper).  I used a combination of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper.  Can't really give exact amounts, but I know I used a good amount of paprika!  It gives the chicken a bite, so cut back on it if you don't want spicy.  I used three medium sized skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 3" pieces.   This was a good dinner with some oven baked fries, green beans and fruit. 

No comments: