Monday, March 18, 2013

Last Night's Dinner

Since I had some time yesterday to spend in the kitchen, I made up a nice meal.  Our local grocery store has a very very good meat department, so if I can I will get a 'chuck arm pot roast' and make that for Sunday Dinner sometimes.  I season it with a steak rub, then seer it in a bit of oil on top of the stove.  I will put it in a dutch oven and either bake on low or leave it cook on top of the stove or put in a cast iron skillet and bake on low.  I add some beef broth to it after seering it.  Then I make a simple gravy from the broth, usually adding minced onion, bouillion cubes, parsley, worchestershire sauce, and kitchen bouquet.  Pardon the spellings.  Oh, and thicken with corn starch and water slurry.

Mashed potatoes accompany this as well as a vegetable.  Last night's veggie was fried cabbage and noodles.  I know that's two starches in the meal, but we really like cabbage and noodles and I felt like we had to have some kind of cabbage dish, being that it was St. Patrick's Day!

Tonight I'm going to make some kind of creamy chicken dish.  I have leftover riccota cheese mixture from when I made the lasagna Saturday.  Going to cook some chicken breasts then make a sauce and serve over noodles.

No comments: