Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Two hundred triangles cut


Yesterday on my lunch break I went to the park and sat in my car and sewed the binding on the purple pinwheel baby quilt. Didn't get it finished but it won't take long to do, really.

Last night I spent an hour in the sewing room cutting triangle pieces for the next pinwheel quilt. It is going to be blue pinwheels and a little bigger than the purple one. The purple one is 4 x 4 pinwheels. The blue one will be 5 x 5. So I cut out 200 half square triangles last night. First I used the shape cut ruler to cut 4" strips of fabric. Then I used the easy angle ruler to cut the triangles. This really is a neat tool. I forget I have it sometimes, like when I made the purple pinwheels! I made squares then marked them and sewed and cut. Using the easy angle is so much easier - less steps!
You can see in the picture a scrap of paper in the corner by the ruler. That is how I 'think'. I will jot down notes and measurements when they pop into my head. Then I seem to have all these scraps of paper with ideas on them! After I make a quilt, sometimes I will clean up the instructions and file them, but more often than not, I just file them. They wouldn't make sense to anyone but me anyway.

Sunday night we made home made pizza's for dinner. I have a really good recipe for pizza crust. Everyone seems to like it and they all get to make their own pizza's with what they like on top of them. The dough recipe makes five regular sized pizza crusts. I ate about half of my pizza and put the rest in the fridge. All day yesterday I kept thinking about going home and having a piece of it. Really craving it. Well, I get home and there isn't a single piece of pizza in the house! Now, we all ate about half of our pizza's on Sunday night, plus darling daughter's boyfriend was there and left about half of his pizza. My darling husband and son ate what was left and took it to work with them! AGH.

Last night I had two small pieces of round steak. I got out the griddle and got it searing hot. I put a little oil on the steaks and some steak seasoning I have been wanting to try. It was real peppery, but very tasty. After I seared the steaks, I put them in a gravy I made from onions, green peppers, and mushrooms that were cut up and leftover from pizza night, and from beef stock. It made a nice gravy. I also made some mashed potatoes from red potatoes. I like to leave some of the skins on when I use the red potatoes. It gives them a fuller flavor in my opinion. And I opened a can of corn. We had a nice dinner.

Don't know what we are going to have tonight. Darling daughter is coming up for lunch and she is going to hit the grocery store afterwards. She is cooking tonight.

I have the purple pinwheel with me because I thought I was going to be alone at lunch and was going to sew on the binding some more today. It's probably a good thing I'm not going back to the park today because yesterday I almost brought home a stray dog from there. It was the cutest pup, looked like a doberman or a rottweiler, real skinny and limping on one of it's back legs. I guess someone dumped it. I hate that people do that. Now, I really am not a big fan of dobies or rotties because of their mean reputation, but I also am someone who believes that the majority of the dog's personality comes from the training and treatment it receives from it's owners. I did not take the puppy home, because we have two dogs and two cats. We can't afford to take care of another animal right now. But I really wanted to...

At the bottom of the picture of the blue triangles is one of my omnigrid rulers. I thought that it was lost for the longest time. Couldn't find it and I had looked everywhere. Well, this past weekend I dropped a spool of thread and it rolled behind my sewing table. When I reached for it, there was the ruler, standing upright between the table and the wall. I'm glad I found it, because it's a handy size. Not too big and not too small. I did buy another one after this one had been missing for a few months, but it wasn't exactly the same size.

No comments: