Monday, May 28, 2012

OH THAT DOG!

Let me just begin by saying this - Ivy is really lucky we love her.  Really lucky.  Oh, and if you are eating, you might not want to read this until you are finished.

For a few days now, maybe four or five, I have been smelling something bad when I walk into the house.  I have been getting the trash out of the kitchen regularly, thinking it was the trash can.  That didn't help.  I made sure the trash in bathroom was empty.  Didn't seem to help. 

The smell was even strong in my bedroom.  Looked all around the bed for the source.  Didn't find anything. 

(Remember, we are throwbacks to the seventies and still have a waterbed?)

This morning, around 7 a.m. Ev says he thinks the bed has a leak because there was something wet on the sheet down by his foot.  I said I would fix it when I got up and we both stayed in bed for an hour or so yet.  Then I thought I would fix the leak right away before I got in the shower.

I get up and go over to his side of the bed, where he is still laying, and pull the covers back at the corner.  I don't see a leak on the top, so I move the mattress away from the wooden frame of the bed and this horrific smell hits me.  There is a DEAD BIRD there!  OH MY OH MY OH MY...  Talk about gagging and freaking out!

I couldn't do it, I just couldn't mess with a dead bird.  I woke up Nick and he and Ev got rid of it.  Then I cleaned the mattress and frame really really really good.

Ivy is a black dog.  The bird was black.  My guess is she brought it in the house one night and we didn't notice she had it in her mouth.  Then she proceeded to hide it in the bed!  So, so, so, very gross....

Ev's making jokes that the dog is a serial bird killer and that was one of her trophies.  My mother is making references to the horse head in the bed on the movie the Godfather.  I'm leaning toward Ivy putting it there as a talisman to warn off other birds....

1 comment:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwww! Thankfully our dogs never brought their "treasures" inside. ;-)