Friday, May 18, 2012

Recipe for supper

Last night I made a pretty good dinner.  It's a simple recipe my grandma made.  I had thawed out some pork chops I had in the freezer, intending to put them on the grill, but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to grill them.  They were from some meat we had purchased from a locker plant and the flavor was just not as good as expected, so these chops needed some help, rather than standing alone.  Here's the recipe for what I call simply:

Pork and Fried Cabbage

4 pork chops, removed from bone, cut into smallish sized strips
1 medium to large onion, chopped
1 small head of cabbage, shredded
1/ 2 bag of egg noodles, cooked and drained per package instructions
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Caraway Seed
1 stick margarine
Oil

Cover bottom of pan with oil and heat to medium/high temperature.  Add strips of pork chops and cook until nicely browned.  Add chopped onion and continue cooking until onion is cooked through.  Season well with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Add margarine and allow to melt.  Add shredded cabbage and let cook down, stirring frequently.  Add caraway seeds, about half a teaspoon, if you like them.  Add cooked egg noodles, mixing in well with other ingredients.  TK

P.S. You can add a can of mushrooms or even fresh mushrooms if you like.  My daughter doesn't like mushroom and she's living back at home, so I omitted them - this time!

No comments: