Friday, December 5, 2014

Dinner - tortellini sausage soup!

Wednesday night I made some tortellini soup that I thought turned out very good.  It was sausage based, rather than chicken, which I know some tortellini soups are.  I don't really have a recipe that I followed, but I can give you a rough idea:

1 lb. bulk sausage
1 large onion, chopped
minced garlic (a little or a lot, depends on what you like)
1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine if you want it
3 cans beef broth
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 zucchini, peeled and diced
1 bag fresh spinach
1 cup diced carrots
1 green pepper, diced
Italian seasoning blend
salt
pepper
beef bullion cubes (4-6)
8 - 10 oz. frozen cheese tortellini

Brown sausage, drain most of fat, add onions and cook until tender.  Add remaining ingredients except tortellini.  Bring to boil, then simmer for an hour or so.

Prepare tortellini according to package directions.  Add to individual bowls and ladle soup over them. If you cook them in the soup, they get too mushy and fall apart.

Some recipes call for a garnish of Parmesan cheese, which sounds very good.  I think it would also be good with some warm and crusty bread.  But then anything would be good with some warm and crusty bread...  haha.

It's a very hearty soup and if you have a crew that doesn't think soup makes a meal, this one will change their minds.  Especially if you add a good quantity of tortellini in their bowl!  My favorite tortellini to use are the Louisa brand.  They have a lot of yummy cheese filling in them.

I'm taking some of this soup over to Johanna's for lunch today.

No comments: