Tuesday, November 15, 2011

10 p.m. ideas

Last night, after putting those two tops together I was already in bed and remembered something.  I had made a back for my daughter's signature quilt that she didn't like.  It was pieced with all different Amish style solids.  I got to thinking that I could cut that into four different pieces to make lap quilts.  Well, when I went digging for it, I found something even better!  I found a piece of material that had three panels on it, each about the right size for a lap quilt.  They are springy type colors with flowers on them and will make nice lap quilts for three ladies.  So now I have five that are for sure ready to be basted and quilted, which is quite a big jump into this adventure.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to put 12 together now.

I have not decided if I want to cut that pieced back up or not.  Going to see how things progress.  There's been a lot of talk on Stashbusters about the Double slice pattern.  I might give that a shot for a couple quickie tops.  It would only take 16 squares to make a lap quilt.

I stopped at the thrift shop on my lunch hour and found some material that will work well for backings.  Not that I needed any more material, but this called out to me.  And it was only a buck for each piece, so that didn't hurt....  One piece is a narrow maroon stripe that will work well as a back for the man's quilt pictured in the previous post.

1 comment:

Michele, a distracted quilter said...

I too struggle with not buying when coming across a really really good buy. But when you find good backing pieces for as cheap as a buck - you can't pass those up.