Sunday, February 13, 2011

The day in pictures

If you are anywhere near South Central Illinois you have probably heard of the worlds largest catchup bottle water tower.  Here it is!  Ev and I were on our way to our Valentine's Day dinner at Lotawata Creek and passed the catchup bottle.  If you didn't know it was there, and were coming from the West, you would be caught off guard as you came up on it.  Johanna and her friends passed by it one time and the next time they had her convinced it was going to be a mustard bottle, that it had been changed!  We don't let her live that one down...

Here's Ev with a dazed look on his face at Lotawata Creek!  He just asked me how he was going to eat all of that food!  Look at that HUGE sandwich on his plate, and then they have the nerve to add fries to it!  We had a very nice meal there.  I had a chicken sandwich and a salad.  Ev had that monster ribeye sandwich and fries.  We started off with their stuffed, breaded mushrooms.  Oh wow, were they ever good...  We had a lot of food to bring home in doggy bags...



After we ate, we drove over to Target.  It's not one of my favorite stores, and there isn't one close to us (this was an hours drive), but they had one item there I wanted.  I like the Weight Watcher's Smart Ones Vegetable Mini Pizzas.  The WW website says that Target was the closest place to get them, so we went there and bought all four boxes they had...  I'm thinking we should have asked if they had any more in the back....  When we pulled out of the parking lot, we pulled behind this car.  I think it is very odd looking.  It's a Nissan Cube, and I apologize if you own and/or love one, but it just looks strange to me.  It felt like we were going the wrong way because the back end of this vehicle looks like it could be the front end!  I guess we just don't get out enough...

After our adventure, I came home and finished my slippers.  Look at my big dorky feet in them?  Don't they just look cozy?  heeheehee.  Here's the website that I originally found a pattern on:  http://www.homemade-holiday-gifts.com/felted-slippers.html  The only thing was, it didn't suit me.  The bottom of the slipper was fine.  You traced around your foot, added a quarter inch, and cut out a pattern piece.  The top part had a similar piece, but with a rectangle cut out of it to make the sides.  Well, that left the top of my foot too cold and they didn't come up the sides of my feet very far, so I modified it a bit.  I used the same pattern piece as the original, except I did not cut out the rectangle.  I cut straight up the middle of the top about half way.  I purposefully left it a bit smaller so I could adjust the opening once I was finished.  It worked well, and now I have warm and cozy toes!

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I thought about you and your slippers today. The paper had an ad for a pair and I thought I'll bet Bunbear could make those. Maybe I'll post a pic on my blog. They are cute.

Cheri said...

PS: Sounds like you had a good time. I'm glad!

bunbear said...

thanks, cheri, for thinking about me! i have been wearing them and i just love how warm they are! if you have never felted a sweater, you should try it - it's comical how they shrink up, and they make such nice slipper material to work with.