Sunday, October 16, 2011

Applesauce

Yesterday I made some applesauce in the crock pot.  If you have apples and don't know what to do with them, this is the absolute easiest thing in the world to do!  Peal and core the apples.  I just peeled then cut in half to take out the cores.  Threw them in the crock pot without slicing or anything.  I didn't measure anything.  Just started out with a full crock pot of apples and added about a cup of sugar and maybe a tablespoon of cinnamon.  After a couple hours the apples started to get soft.  I took a potato masher and mushed them down, then let them cook for a while longer.  A few hours later, I added another half cup of sugar and maybe a teaspoon more of cinnamon.  Just do it to taste.  Let it cook down, mashing it down with the potato masher a few times whenever you think about it.  I like my applesauce a little chunky, so after about 6 hours it was ready to be shut off.  I let it cool overnight then the put in containers and put them in the freezer.  My crock pot full made about 7 cups.  The apples reduce to about half their original volume.

No comments: