Friday, October 7, 2011

Progress!

I know it doesn't look like much, but this is a small sampling of the quilting I have been doing on my 36 patch quilt.  I have been doing straight lines diagonally through the light colored squares in the blocks.  For most of the blocks, it's in the light colored squares, but in a couple it was a pretty close race as to which were light or not.  The lines of stitching alternate rows.  I'm doing the quilting on the older Kenmore and using a walking foot.  I loaded up a dozen bobbins before beginning the quilting and have gone through 5 already.  I'm almost 3/4ths of the way done with the quilting.  All that will be left to do will be the binding and the label.  The label may just have the name of the quilt and my name and date on it.  Not sure yet.  I think the name may end up something like 144.  Just a simple number that will make people have to think.  It won't take an astro physicist to figure it out, and I'm sure all my quilty friends will figure it out pretty quick.  72 blocks with two colors in each of them....

So my darling son tonight is up in the sewing room trying to explain Netflix to me.  Before you think I must live under a rock, I know what it is, but there are features of it that he was trying to tell me about, in the hopes that I would pay a monthly fee to subscribe to it.  Apparently, if you subscribe, you can 'stream' videos to your computer or television instantly.  I asked him to look up what kinds of shows they had that had that ability, rather than the mail out the dvd and wait feature.  One I asked about was 'Simply Quilts', since so many other television shows were listed.  It was funny to see the results, especially when a horror flick with quilt in the name of it came up.  I had to stop sewing (which is what I was doing while he was looking things up) and actually turn around to see the computer screen because I thought he was making the title up!  It was a good laugh.  At any rate, we aren't going to get it yet because we are the only household in America (at least according to my son) that doesn't have a flat screen t.v., therefor requiring special equipment to stream the videos to the television.  Life will go on.

After I finish this quilt, I need to quilt a child's quilt for my nephew.  My stepmother made the top and she asked me to quilt it.  I don't usually do this, but since it is for family, I don't really mind.

No comments: