Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's debatable

How long will I keep making yo yo's?  Who knows...  Right now I've picked up the project again and have been making about 8 yo yo's a day, either while watching t.v. or on my lunch break at work.  They measure about an inch and a half in diameter, so it's going to take a LOT of yo yo's to make a quilt of any size.  Just for grins and giggles, if there are 64 yo yo's in a 12" square block, and I wanted to make a quilt that was 84"(7') by 96"(8'), I would need 3,584 yo yo's!  So if I upped my daily tally to making 10 yo yo's, I would have enough in just under a year to make something big enough to cover a bed!

And what exactly do I attach them to?  I know I attach yo yo's to each other, but then do they get sewn down to a background piece, like a sheet?  Or are they just for decoration?  sigh.  I just like making them right now, so I don't think I even need to worry about any of that stuff yet, but eventually I might have enough to make something with and will want the answers!  If I sew them down to a sheet, then I couldn't see both sides of them, and since the gathered side is supposed to be on top, that would make me sad because some of the yo yo's I made I like the flat side better!

Been going through some of my scrap drawers and picking out interesting fabrics for yo yo's.  Some of them were donated to me and some were from long forgotten projects.  Those that were from my own projects are kind of neat to run across because they get me to thinking about the quilt they were originally in and who it went to, etc.  Ah, a walk down memory lane...

1 comment:

Lynley said...

I've always wanted to do yo-yos, so i'll watch your progress with interest... I always thought they were sewn together and then sewn onto a background fabric. But are the layers then stitched together? Experiment, and let me know :)