Saturday, October 13, 2012

Wagons ho!

Corny, I know...  But wait til you see the pics!  My friend's husband made this really really cool toy chest for their new grandbaby.  It looks like a covered wagon!  They asked me to sew the cover for it, and of course I said yes!  Today my friend came over and helped and when she got home, put it on the toy chest and sent these pics.  I think it looks so cool!






Her hubby is quite talented in the woodworking department, don't you think?  It's a pretty big toy box.  I think it was almost 4' long!  Those wheels just give it the finishing touch, in my opinion.

That took about 2 hours to sew, believe it or not, mostly because of the ironing and measuring and cutting involved.  Plus we were visiting with each other and not really hurrying through it or anything!

I have some material in the dryer right now that is going to be for the quilt Mom wants me to make for a friend of her's for Christmas.  It had some very faint water marks on it, so I wanted to wash it and make sure they came out before I used it.  It's perfect for the back of the quilt because the colors match and everything.  From what I could tell when I threw it in the dryer, the marks came out.  I'll know better when I press it and sew it together.

A few posts back, when you saw the picture of Nick's quilt, you might have noticed that it was very straight on the frame.  I can't believe how much of a difference that made when quilting on the frame.  I know people always said to have the back squared up and all, which I had in the past, but it wasn't always perfect.  Well, with the addition of the tape measures sewn onto my leaders I was able to get it on the frame pretty accurately, plus it had been squared up before hand.

I also had attached extra material to the back because I didn't think I was going to have enough to put it on the frame.  When all was said and done, I had about one and a half inches to spare!  Good thing I added that extra!

No comments: