Sunday, October 21, 2012

Vacation winding down

It's back to work tomorrow.  Sigh.  Well, it could be worse.  I'm glad to have a job.

Did some quilting on the big blue quilt today.  Put in about three hours on it and have about two thirds done.  Can't say if I will get back to it this week or if it will have to wait until next weekend, but it's coming along nicely.

I really like using the all cotton Essentials brand thread from Connecting Threads.  I haven't tried the Essentials Pro yet, but would like to.  Saturday I went to a garage sale and had an opportunity to buy Gutterman polyester thread for a quarter a spool.  I know this is almost giving it away, but I didn't buy any.  I just didn't want polyester thread.

There was a Fall Festival in the city park yesterday.  There were vendors and locals selling different things, as well as music and food.  At one of the vendors there was a bow tie quilt top that had 'make offer' on it.  It looked like it was stained and definitely was showing it's age.  I said I would give the guy at the booth (who happened to be my grade school gym teacher...) a couple bucks for it.  He said "How about three dollars?", after telling me it wasn't a completed quilt.  I said okay and gave him three bucks for a full size vintage bow tie quilt top!  Upon closer inspection, the stains weren't really stains, they were unbleached muslin.  I took it home and washed it with an oxy cleaner.  It came out beautiful!  I was concerned about washing it because it was just the top, but since I only paid three for it, if it was ruined I wouldn't have been heartbroken.  As it is, it all worked out and I'm thrilled!

Jealous?

1 comment:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Not jealous. Just happy for you. And absolutely thrilled that when you washed it, it turned out so well! However, I especially loved the fact that you bought it from your grade school gym teacher!