Thursday, August 8, 2013

A decisive move

I have decided that the next quilt I make for the nursing homes will be from the embroidered blocks I rescued at a garage sale a while back.  I have about 30, 17 1/2" blocks, done in two different designs.  One design is a basket done in yellows and greens. 

Last night, after ironing the one border on the Four Patch Plaid and deciding that it didn't need another border and that the top was finished, I pulled out 5 of the embroidered basket blocks.  I found some nice material to make 4 quarter square triangle blocks to set with the baskets and proceeded to make them last night.  All that needs to be done now is to trim the quarter square blocks to size and sew them together.  It will need a border, I'm sure.

The only fly in the ointment is that when I pressed the embroidered blocks they had an odor of smoke still.  If anyone remembers when I bought them, you would know that I had to soak each block in oxyclean because they stank so bad and were yellowed from smoke (and possibly age).  I thought that had removed the odor, but when I hit them with the iron, it came back.  I am hoping that after the top is finished and quilted that I can soak it and get the smell out.  Probably hit it with some Fabreeze too.

I might do another top with some of the blue embroidery blocks.  Just kind of needed something mindless and fast.  When the basket top is finished, that will be 7 tops done.  I know I keep saying I have to get the two birthday quilts done.   I really do, but I seem to be on a roll with these others and hate to stop the momentum!  Next birthday quilt is due end of October and the second due early November.  I know I will be using the cool batiks for one of them, but not sure about the second one.  Decisions, decisions!

I'm also kind of excited about using my stash fabrics for backings on the nursing home quilts.  There are so many fabrics that I have in my stash that just aren't very well loved, at least by me, but would make good backings.  This really is a fun project for me!

No comments: