Thursday, August 1, 2013

I want to and I am afraid to...

I want so badly to start taking in tops to quilt for others.  I'm also so afraid to start taking in tops to quilt for others!  What if, what if, what if? 

Where to start?  Guilds?  Quilt shops?  Online?  Will I be hurting myself if I just start by doing simple designs only?  Like meanders or loopy loops? 

Should I wait until I make all these nursing home quilts and do 13 quilt tops worth of practicing feathers?  People like feathers and will probably expect me to do them.

Comments and suggestions, please!

3 comments:

horsnaround said...

I agree with you about the feathers, they really do look great. Maybe you could just practice on a few of the quilts and then be ready for doing it for others. I'm sure you will have it down before you have to do all 13!! Good luck.

Lynley said...

Have you read Judy Laquidara's series of posts about starting to machine quilt for others? she's collected them here .... http://www.patchworktimes.com/2012/07/08/longarm-quilting-posts/

Dora, the Quilter said...

I second the recommendation of Judy's posts.
If you tell me the widths of some borders you plan to use, I could draw some feathers and send them to you--so you could try tracing them to see if they'd feel natural to you.
I hope to be facing the same decision someday in the not too distant future.