Monday, April 16, 2012

Flannel

I dug through some of my flannel, thinking I will make that baby quilt out of some of my blues and other baby flannel fabrics.  Then I thought I might find something better in my blue cotton bin.  After rummaging around in it, I ended up back in the flannel.  I kept thinking "Oh, I'll save that for something else" when I was looking through the flannel and then came to the realization that there was no reason to be 'saving' anything like that!  I don't really expect there to be a shortage of blue flannel fabric anytime in the near future.

One of the blogs I read was talking about a couple baby quilts the gal made with a '100 patch' center.  I liked the idea of doing a 10x10 block for the center of the quilt and then just putting a couple easy borders on it, so I pulled as many flannels as I could that would be mostly boyish.  I have 9 fabrics, some of them are only scraps, but some are yardage. I think I"ll just make 4 or 5 inch squares and see how it falls together.

Do you ever make quilt tops and forget that you made them?  When I went to put the star struck top into a drawer where I keep tops that are waiting to be quilted, I was somewhat surprised to find a baby quilt top, made of flannel, for a girl in the drawer.  That sure takes care of the other baby that is due this year!  I guess if I went back several months on the blog I would come across the post where I finished the top, but it just struck me as funny that so many times I will make something and once it's done, it's just out of my head, that quickly.

2 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I've never made a quilt out of flannel. I worry that flannel would be more difficult to needle than cotton. I hope you share the final quilt ... I can't wait to see it.

bunbear said...

i'll share pics when the quilt is done. i've worked with flannel before. it's okay for small quilts, but i don't think i would want a huge one out of it. years ago i made tied comforters with flannel. they were nice and heavy. i wouldn't have wanted to traditionally quilt them!