Friday, April 20, 2012

I did it!

I ordered my longarm machine!  Decided that the time was right, so I called the Nolting Rep and ordered a 2002 24"Nolting Commercial Machine with a stitch regulator on a 12' table.  I am so excited!  It will be delivered after the Paducah Show, which is going on next week. 

I'm not concerned that this machine is 10 years old, because of the excellent reputation Nolting has, and the fact that when they take machines in for trade, they completely take them apart and replace any worn part before reselling them.  The same people that built the machine originally perform this work.  There is also a one year warranty on part, labor and electricals.  Basically, everything except abuse.

The price was right in my range, and Nolting will deliver, set up, and get me started quilting away!  The time leading up to delivery of the machine will be spent getting the room ready and making some practice tops.  I'm thinking of a simple pieced top in the size of the lap quilts for the nursing home. 

Even though this machine is a few years older than the one I was going to get from the private seller, I feel much more confident, especially because it will have the Nolting warranty and customer service supporting it.  It's costing me less for this machine than it would for the other one, and I'm getting more.  I might not be getting more goodies on the machine, but I just feel I'm getting more because of the fact that I have a 'safety net'.  Spending a lot of money and not having anyone to call if something goes wrong really scared me.

I also know that there are a lot of people who would look at my situation and tell me to save the money  for a rainy day instead of buying the machine.  But the truth is, I know myself, and I know that if that money is put away, I'll chip away at it and pretty soon there won't be anything to show for it and the money will be gone.  This machine is an investment.  I'm giving myself six months of practice on it, then hopefully I will be ready to take in customer's quilts.  My plan is to try to quilt one or two customer quilts a week.  Keep in mind that I work full time outside the home.  If I just quilt one a week, that would generate enough income to cover half a car payment if we need a different car.  I'm thinking a minimum of $50 per quilt, and that's shooting low from all I see online.  Baby quilts might be even less, but I could do them quicker, so could do more.

Anyway, once I'm confident on the machine, I'll figure out the rest.  I'm thinking if I advertise my services on the internet, local quilt guilds, quilt and fabric shops, I should generate enough business to do what I want.  Time will tell.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

swooze said...

Congrats!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I came here from Judy's blog to see the groundhog.

I'm excited about your Nolting machine. Can we please keep in touch because I'd love to know about your journey with it. (If I can ever gather enough money, I'd like to switch from doing all my quilting on treadles to doing some of it on a longarm, and I've been thinking "used Nolting" too.)