Friday, March 23, 2012

I took the plunge and the check is in the mail!

I have been wanting a Singer Featherweight machine for some time now.  Not quite as long as I have been wanting a Nolting 24" Pro Longarm, but for a while anyway.  For a few months I have bid on different machines on Ebay without much enthusiasm, as the prices get driven pretty high, or I run into shady sellers, etc.

There is a Yahoo group called SewItsForSale that I belong to.  A gal on there had a Featherweight for sale, and after viewing the pictures she sent, I agreed to purchase the machine.  I have mailed my check to her, and now I (not so) patiently await the arrival of the machine.

So, while it sets me back a few bucks, money that I should be putting away toward the purchase of the Nolting, I think it will be money well spent.  And considering the difference in cost between the two machines is quite significant, I don't think this purchase will put me back too far!

I looked up the serial number on the Singer website, and my new baby-to-be was new in 1939.  So. Cool.  And it has the scroll plate on it with the ornate etchings, which is one of the features I wanted.  I would have settled for one with the other plate, but this is what I really wanted.  The seller has agreed to send along some of the feet for the machine, including the seam guide, which I desperately wanted.

My main purpose for this machine will be piecing.  I'm also going to try to free motion quilt on it, as I saw on another group.  Oh, I can't wait to get it!  Woohoo!

1 comment:

Lynley said...

Oh, that's so exciting! Post photos when you get it, and tell us how it sews. Is there a big difference between older and new machines?