Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

The traditional (at least in my household!) Valentine's Day goodie bags!  One for each of my kids and their sweeties.  The selection of Valentine material at Wal Mart was very thin this year.  I wanted four different patterns.  Each bag is about as simple as they get.  This time, a half yard cut was seamed on the raw edges and a piece of ribbon sewn a few inches from the top to use as a tie.  The selvedge edge of the material is at the top of the bags, so I didn't even bother to finish the edges.

Olivia, Nick's girlfriend, has mentioned that she likes buttons.  I was lucky enough to find the pink material in the back of the picture.  It has all kinds of little buttons on it.  Johanna saw the four materials and said she liked the one with the X's and O's on it.  The back red bag is for Nick.  It has different heart designs on it.  And the front white with red hearts, which reminds me of novelty boxer shorts, is for Ben.

My hubby and daughter came up for lunch and hubby brought me roses!  Aren't they pretty?  I'll take them home tomorrow night so I can enjoy them over the weekend.  Now that the crazy kitten is gone, maybe they will be safe on the kitchen counter.  Or maybe not.  Nick might bring the kitten over for the weekend.  Sigh.  Oh well.

I stopped at the grocery store on my way back from lunch and picked up the makings for sloppy jo's tonight for dinner, and a cake mix to make for my mom's birthday.  While in the grocery store, I passed the aisle with the diapers and baby wipes.  One of the packages of wipes must have been open because you could really smell them.  That took me back to the days when my now 22 and 23 year old kids were babies!

It must have been a 'scent memory' day, because when I went down the baking aisle to get the cake mix the smell of brown sugar was strong.  That reminded me a lot of my great grandmother's kitchen.  She baked a lot, especially chocolate chip cookies.  Good memories, both of them!

I hope everyone is having a nice Valentine's Day!

No comments: