Monday, February 25, 2013

Quilt number two finished for the year

I actually finished this quilt for my dad's birthday on time!  That doesn't mean that I wasn't sewing the binding on  Sunday morning before his party, but hey, it got finished!


The pattern was from The Tulip Patch and is called The Helix Quilt.  My dad is a retired engineer, so I thought something geometric such as this would be appropriate.  I made the quilt lap size due to time constraints and I'm glad I did.  It was a lot less of a task to finish that way.  There really wasn't a lot of piecing in this pattern, as you can see from all the white space to the sides.  I liked the pattern okay, but after it was finished it really reminded me more of Charlie Brown than of a helix!  haha.  That's okay, too, because I like Charlie Brown!


Here is the label on the back.  I did a couple things differently with the label this time.  First, it is just written in indelible ink rather than stitched.  That also was due to time (and my energy level, which was waning by the time I got to this point).  Second, I stitched it to the backing before loading it on the frame.  Positioning it just where I want it is going to take a little more finess, but all in all I was pleased with the results.  I particularly like the fact that the label has been quilted over.

I must get that customer's t-shirt quilt finished!  Yesterday I pieced the backing for it and took the top and back downstairs to load on Gemma.  I didn't get it loaded, but that's the next step.  I'm tossing around just floating the top rather than attaching it to the leader because it's so thick.  The knit material with the interfacing might also get too distorted if I attach it to my leader with the snap system.  Just some random thoughts on that.

Mom's quilt is still a work in progress.  It's second on my to-do list right now.  It's already late, so I've just resigned myself to the fact that it might as well be a little later.  Hey, at this point it might turn into a combination Mother's Day/Birthday gift!  haha.

We still have snow on the ground.  I expect most of it to melt by the end of the day.  Tomorrow the weather service is calling for a possibility of more snow.  That won't make me mad!  Bring it on!

No comments: