Thursday, May 30, 2013

Aromatherapy - or smelly stuff!

I'm back to the subject of smells again!  Today when I was driving to work on Old Route 66 the county tractors were mowing the ditches.  The smell of fresh cut grass was overwhelming!  It smelled so sweet and so fresh I just had to inhale a deep breath and enjoy it!  The smell of fresh cut grass is one of those smells that is just 'good'.  Does that make sense?  I don't think I have any memories connected to that smell that are unpleasant. 

The smell of fresh turned earth is also something pleasant for me.  It reminds me of my great grandfather's garden.  It's an unique smell and I can't really describe it.  It's dirt.  But it's not yucky dirt.  It's rich, moist, black soil.  And usually there is a worm or two to be seen!  I'm not squeamish about worms - Grandpa made me bait my own hook!  And I can remember going to the edge of the field where a drainage pipe emptied to dig up worms with Grandpa.  He would take a pitchfork and scoop out about three or four inches of soil and then we would crumble it in our hands and look for worms.  Good memories.

1 comment:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Oh, my! I have those same memories. Here in the desert, the hwy dept cutting the medians and ditches is about as close as we get to that.
As for the fishing worms--I share those memories with you too. I doubt there are too many places near me where people are digging worms to go fishing.