Thursday, May 2, 2013

To sew or to unsew

Last night I was rearing to go and started quilting on Stained Glass.  I put one of the new cones of thread that I got at the show on the top - a pretty varigated one, and a solid on the back.  The threads were different brands and different weights.  I sewed down the edges for my first pass, checking tension, then started quilting.  I stopped the first few minutes a couple times to get the flashlight and check tension on the back.  It looked good, so I kept going and quilted one full pass.  Then I went to roll it...

Ugh.

It looked like only the first few lines that I had checked were good.  The rest was all botched up.  Tension, tension, tension.  So, since I was using different weight threads and different brands, I thought I would just try again using the varigated in the top and bobbin.  Should save some heartache at least.  But first I have the tedious job of unpicking all those stitches.  My, oh, my.  What takes 20 minutes to quilt is taking three hours to pick.  I picked for over two hours last night, then this morning before work I picked for about half an hour.  Still not done, but close to having it all out.  I just hope when I go to sew again I can get the tension right and not have to do this again.

No comments: