Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Loosey Goosey

I'm trying to loosen up the levers on the 401 that control the type of stitch it sews.  When I first tried to move them, they felt glued in place!

See the big beige knob and the red lever?  The beige knob and the cream one behind it control the stitch pattern.  One pushes in and turns and the other pulls forward and turns.  The little red lever pushes down and moves side to side.  When I got the machine, none of them moved.

I oiled the dickens out of them and wiggled them the tiniest bit.  Then I let the machine sit for a day.

The first one to break free was the little red lever.  I have the top cover off and can really get the oil right where it needs to go, so that helps, I'm sure.  The red lever is moving smoothly now, just the way it is supposed to.

I had to wait another day for the next victory.  Last night I was able to get the knob that pulls forward and turns to move.  It's all oiled up and moves really well.

Hoping that tonight the final knob will move and I can give her a test run.  Even if the knob doesn't move, I can still sew on her because the position she is stuck in is a straight stitch.

There was a nice box of accessories included with the machine.  Only one part was missing, and that was a cam/pattern disk.  I put a bid in for one on Ebay last night.  It was only .99 cents, so I really hope I get it.  There are a lot of other cams available, but I at least want the one that originally should have been with the machine.

Here's a pic from the first page of the manual.  The caption under the sketch says it all:

That cracked me up!  I'm still wanting that 301, but for now, this one makes me happy!  I am so lucky my hubby doesn't mind when the herd grows...  haha.

No comments: