Saturday, April 23, 2011

Not singing about the Singer

So last night I went upstairs to do some more free motion quilting on the potholders.  The old Singer has been doing a great job lately and I was feeling pretty confident that I had it figured out and wouldn't have any issues with it, at least not major ones.  Oh what a fantasy that turned out to be...

I sat down and sewed about two inches and the thread broke.  This happened several times.  I rethreaded the machine, adjusted the tension, yada yada yada, each time and it continues to break.  Then needles start to break over and over.  I changed threads, I rethreaded, cleaned the bobbin race, did everything I could think of.  Then it happened.  What may be the Singer's final harumpfh.  It locked up.  Tighter than a drum.  I think the bobbin race got off kilter when the needles broke and now it JUST WON'T MOVE.  period.  Well, dang.  I played with it and jiggled and jostled and unscrewed and cleaned and wiggled this and wiggled that...  Today I'm taking a hammer upstairs...  One of us will emerge victorious...

On the upside, I finished three potholders for the kids' Easter bags.  After the Singer quit I just continued on the old Kenmore that was Gram's.  I have enough goodies in their bags that I don't need to make anything else, but if I get the bug to sew today I might try and whip out a few little things yet.  We'll see what the day brings.

What I'm hoping the day doesn't bring is more storms.  I'm about sick of all this stormy weather.  My nerves are shot from all the tornado warnings and such.  Last night was another bad one.  We didn't get hit but they were getting it all around us again.  The airport in St. Louis had to close because a tornado hit there!  What a mess.

Nick, Johanna, and Ben are all planning to be here Sunday morning for church and breakfast afterward.  I'm making waffles, per Johanna's request.  Don't know what the others might like, so we'll see if I get any requests today.

I have a lot of laundry to do.  Ugh.  I will say that since Nick has moved out the laundry has gone down.  Especially the towels.  That kid could go through more towels.  Then he would take them to his room and let them 'age'.  yuck.

Dad wants me to bring the green bean casserole to dinner tomorrow afternoon.  He must really like that dish because he always requests it.  Either that or they just don't like anything else I make because it actually has FLAVOR to it (garlic, salt, pepper, etc...)  They seem to have a very bland palate.  Anyway, I don't mind making the green beans.  It's a no brainer for me.  I'm going to check and see what I need, if anything from the store.  Will have to run out and do that today.  I'm also going to make a macaroni salad and take it over there.  It's just your basic Creamette salad, with elbow mac, mayo, green onions, etc.  Ev loves the stuff, so I thought that would be a nice addition.  Johanna is crazy about it too.

No comments: