Tuesday, February 7, 2012

About me

On one of the chat groups I belong to, the question was asked of our group "when did you learn to sew?"  I answered the question briefly online, but I think I would like to answer it even more detailed here on the blog.  I'm going to pick and choose different things to tell about the journey I took to get to this point in my life with my sewing/quilting.  I think it's only fitting to start at one of my earliest memories.

My childhood was filled with mostly older relatives, not just older as in my parents, but older as in my great grandparents and great aunts and uncles.  If you can believe it, even today I have one great uncle still living.  I digress, back to the sewing story....  My Great Aunt Leah was my paternal Grandpa V's sister.  She was elderly when I was very young, as Grandpa V. was the baby of the family.  Aunt Leah lived with Little Grandma, her and Grandpa's mother.  It probably goes without my saying that this household was a quiet one.  Two elderly ladies don't generate a lot of excitement and energy for young children.

My cousin, who is a year younger than I, stayed at my grandparent's house a lot, and we would frequently visit with Aunt Leah and Little Grandma.  One of my earliest sewing memories was at Aunt Leah's, sitting on the floor threading a needle.  I remember that I wanted the thread to be really long because I didn't want to have to thread the needle any more times than necessary.  When I look back on this, it was probably before I entered Kindergarten.  In Kindergarten it was discovered that I desperately needed glasses.  I think my cousin and I were just sewing some scraps together for doll clothes, but nothing really ever materialized.

We would also use paper towels when we couldn't get ahold of any scrap material to make our doll clothes.  They were usually recycled back to being paper towels when we were done, and we weren't allowed to use a whole lot of them, either!

Somewhere along the line, at my maternal great grandparents, a box of linen type scraps were found.  I remember those white pieces were the oddest shapes, but I tried my best to put them together to make something, anything, for my Barbie doll.  I also remember my Great Grandma S. had a blue and grey shaped sewing basket that I loved to paw through.  It had some of those old needle cards with the bright picture of the lady on it and the words "Sewing with Susan".  That gal looked so happy to be threading a needle....

No comments: